4.5.0 upgrade samba-tool dbcheck errors

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Oct 24 21:31:09 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 20:44 +0300, Sergey Urushkin wrote:
> Rowland Penny писал 2016-10-24 11:32:
> > On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 09:22:12 +1300
> > Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > > Once a user is removed from a group, the backlink that we use to
> > > track
> > > and catch user renames is taken away.  That means that the
> > > forward
> > > link has no way of knowing, before a dbcheck, that it is pointing
> > > at
> > > the wrong DN.
> > >

> > Yes, but the OP isn't removing the user from the group, he is
> > moving
> > the user to another ou, so I suppose the question is, how?
> >

> Well, actually I did remove user from group that gives error, but it
> was
> before upgrade to samba 4.5. After reading your comments I've tried
> add and then remove users from the groups with errors - and that has
> fixed all mentioned errors!
>
> So, I think it means that 4.5 (opposite to 4.4) doesn't produce such
> errors (correct me if I'm wrong).
> Anyway, that would be cool if dbcheck could check and fix
> member<->memberof inconsistencies.
>
> Thanks a lot, Andrew and Penny!

So, what happened is that in the past, dbcheck didn't consider deleted
links, that is the metadata left behind when a user is removed from a
group.  Now that it considers these, it gives an error.

That is why it is harmless, but we should fix it to not bump the error
count, at a minimum.

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba