ephemeral ports and port re-use for socket_wrapper emulated TCP bind()

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 20 06:20:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-10-20 at 06:07 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> writes:
>

> > I wanted to change Samba from listening only on 1024 to listening
> > on
> > many ports for ncacn_ip_tcp so that I could multi-thread our
> > netlogon
> > server.
>
> You want to do WHAT???

A reasonable reaction. ;-)

> That's steep. So -- really multi-thread it? Can't you go with
> multiple processes?

I'm sorry to have caused such a reaction.  I'm actually just planning
on multiple processes with the 'standard' process model, or perhaps a
revived prefork model.  Nothing too spectacular, hopefully, if I can
get it on a different socket it should 'just work' once I remove one
memcache reference...