Question on streams dir structure creation.

Hemanth Thummala hemanth.thummala at nutanix.com
Tue Oct 18 18:46:02 UTC 2016

Hello All,

I see that in stream_dir(),  mode “0755” is explicitly used to create the streams two level directory structure(ex: .streams/AB/CF/<16-byte-fileid>.

"SMB_VFS_NEXT_MKDIR(handle, tmp_fname, 0755)"

This works fine when the first use coming in creating a stream file. Internal stream directory structure is getting created by this user id. And he becomes the owner of the entire stream dir path.

But we are seeing the permissions issue when second user is trying to create the final streams directory(16-byte string). Mkdir is failing with permission denied error. This is due the fact that second user falls into group or others unix group for which there is no write access. I would like to know if using this 755 mode is intentional for streams directory structure for some reason.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Hemanth.