Another user at realm type issue/bug

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Wed Oct 12 05:01:26 UTC 2016

Am 12.10.2016 um 00:30 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 08:47 +0200, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:

>>> So if it doesn't break anything in current make test
>>> I plan to push. If we need a test around differing
>>> samAccountName and UPN behavior we should add that
>>> and a separate function to use it IMHO. The pre-patch
>>> behavior is too strange to remain for general command
>>> line processing.
>>
>> Please hold on on this.
>>
>> I'm also looking at this currently and I think the topic is much
>> more complex.
>
> Thanks metze!
>
> I've not forgotten this either, and I'm currently writing a new test
> for the credentials python bindings to help lock down the current
> behaviour.

One important thing is that we need support

-U'MicrosoftAccount\user at example.com' and that
should result in domain "MicrosoftAccount" and
username "user at example.com", I'm unsure about the value
for principal. (Maybe principal and realm should be both NULL,
so that we don't try kerberos)
For NTLMSSP we need to send "MicrosoftAccount" as Domain.

and

-U'user at example.com' should result in domain = NULL (or ""?),
username = NULL and principal = "user at example.com", realm needs to be
unchanged (the value from smb.conf), after a successful kinit
we need to update realm (and maybe principal) to reflect
the values we got from the kdc.
For NTLMSSP we need to send "" as Domain.

The other thing is that with 'smbclient -k -Uuser' or
'smbclient -k -Uuser at example.com' we need to check that the
ccache values match the given values.
For these cases and the 'smbclient -k' case we
need to pickup the principal and realm from the ccache
and invalidate username and domain.

metze