Trying to build statically linked nss-winbind & pam-winbind

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Mon Oct 10 16:48:05 UTC 2016

On Monday, 10 October 2016 17:56:23 CEST Louis Bouchard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working in fixing Ubuntu[1] and Debian[2] bugs occuring when upgrading
> the libnss-winbind and libpam-winbind packages.
>
> One option is to provide those libraries as statically linked to avoid ABI
> breakage when upgrading. This has happened when commands were expecting the
> old library while the new one is in place.

This will not work. There is a protocol used between libwbclient and winbind.
These packages NEED to be the same version. If you link pam_winbind and
nss_winbind statically and winbind gets updated it is likely that your module
it not able to talk to winbind anymore!

The PAM and NSS module and libwbclient need to be updated together with
winbind.

When upgrading PAM and NSS module, the machine probably needs a reboot so that
changes are applied.

To make it clear this is not a Samba issue! It is how PAM and NSS works ...

Cheers,

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: CC014E3D
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org