NTLM authentication with onsite RODC failing with NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT.

Hemanth Thummala hemanth.thummala at nutanix.com
Fri Nov 4 21:51:11 UTC 2016

Thanks Jeremy.
I am able to fix the issue by adding the machine account to allowed RODC password replication group in Password Replication Policy(PRP) on RODC.

Windows NetLogon event message was very obvious. :-)

"USER ACTION
If this is the first occurrence of this event for the specified computer and account, this may be a transient issue that doesn't require any action at this time.  If this is a Read-Only Domain Controller and ‘TEST_FS1$' is a legitimate machine account for the computer ’TEST_FS1' then ’TEST_FS1' should be marked cacheable for this location if appropriate or otherwise ensure connectivity to a domain controller  capable of servicing the request (for example a writable domain controller).”

I am aware that we should always have this PRP policy set for machine account while performing domain join using RODC(I.e pre-create of machine account, etc). Not sure if this is mandatory if we use a writable DC for domain join and later use RODC for authentication purposes.

Thanks,
Hemanth.