The performance of a large number of files

xue jiaolong jiaolongxue at outlook.com
Tue Nov 1 23:46:02 UTC 2016

When I try to create more than 100,000 files under a CIFS mount directory on a Windows machine, the smbd cpu usage increases as the number of files increases and performance degrades. I look at the smbd log, before the creation of each document will receive from the client SMB2_FIND request, the request parameters in_file_name = "*", used to obtain the entire directory of information. That is to say that each file needs to create a whole directory of information, with the increase in the number of sub-files, performance significantly decreased. I would like to ask is whether the SMB protocol to consider the use of a large number of documents under the directory scene, smbd there is no way to optimize, or modify the configuration can improve performance?

thx