Usability of 'samba-tool domain provision'

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 13:25:21 UTC 2016

On 11/05/16 12:07, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Thursday, May 05, 2016 09:30:04 AM Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> Rowland,
>>>
>>> Can you please post the patches to the mailing list?
>>>
>>> I'm planning on merging the trivial typos in the meantime, it makes no
>>> sense to block a new contributor while you look at the larger issues.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andrew Bartlett
>> OK, here is the patch I am working on, it changes the provision command
>> somewhat, you can now only provision a DC, for instance.
>>
>> It is a work in progress, I have not tested it fully yet.
> This looks already good. Could you split it into several smaller patches
> please?
>

> Thanks,
>

>    -- andreas

OK, I given up with the 'spaghetti knitting' for the moment, the
spaghetti is winning and I needed a rest, so I had a look at this :-)

I have split the patch into several smaller patches:

The first patch makes the required changes to only provision a DC, this
is because, as far as I an aware, this is the only thing you can really
provision.

The second patch makes 'realm' & 'domain' required arguments, they are
no longer options.

The third patch checks if the NetBIOS domain name is too long and exits
if it is. This also fixes bug 11925

The fourth patch adds Administrator password checking

The fifth patch adds a couple of extra questions to 'interactive',
use_xattrs and use_rfc2307

The sixth and final patch adds a few examples to help.

Rowland