id mapping again: Mixed RFC2307 and algorithmic mappings

Thu May 19 04:39:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 03:37:29PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Does winbindd have the ability to do the following:
>
> 1. Use rfc2307, but if you cannot find the uidNumber,gidNumber
> attributes on the user account,
> 2. Fall back to using autorid mappings?
>
> A quick looks at the code suggests that this is not possible, but I
> might be wrong.
>
> However, I imagine that for many organizations, there are a few
> accounts with rfc2307 attributes on them, but the majority do not use
> UNIX and thus do not need a UID or GID etc.

No, I don't know a way right now to do that. It is a very worthwhile
goal to get at of course. However, it's not entirely trivial -- what
happens for example if an account that did not have unix attributes
get some? It might have been mapped before with autorid, files might
have been assigned to that autorid uid. Without the autorid fallback,
this can't really happen so far. With the fallback, we need to at
least decide what to do or not to do in that case.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de