Patch to samba_dnsupdate to support net ads dns register in self-test

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Sun May 15 19:41:29 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Rowland Penny <repenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/05/16 19:54, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Rowland Penny <repenny241155 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I agree with you, it needs to go in, but then we need to decide, does
>>> somebody fix the DNS server or do we tell everybody with more than one DC
>>> use Bind9 ?
>>
>> OK, so we need to figure out how to handle all the requirements.
>>
>> That is, to be able to run these sorts of tests during self test, but
>> also to allow real environments to work.
>>
>> In that case, for the sort-term, while we sort out the other issue,
>> perhaps we can take the approach I have taken.
>>

> If I understand your patch correctly, the test is adding an ns record via
> samba_dnsupdate, much the same way as the script would do when 'samba' is
> started, so in this case, to get your test working, I would go with your
> patch.
>
> There is another side to this, if your test does work with your patch added,
> it then goes on to prove that either my patch (or Andrews) is needed.

My manual tests now work. That is, when I do the testenv thing and it
brings up an xterm, I can manually run:

    net ads dns register <name> <ip-addr> -Uxxx%password

and it succeeds and then run:

    net ads dns gethostbyname <dc-name> <name> -U etc

and it returns the address I registered.

Once this is resolved, I want to write tests.

Hmmm, I also need to test whether or not we can register names using
-P. That seemed to be the case and Windows does not allow that,
however, the problem may have been that due to the bugs I found it
looked like the registration succeeded when it did not.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe