Patch to samba_dnsupdate to support net ads dns register in self-test

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 18:18:40 UTC 2016

On 15/05/16 19:08, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Rowland Penny <repenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 15/05/16 18:41, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Attached is a surprisingly simple patch to add an NS record to the dns
>>> file produced for self test.
>>>
>>> There is another small change that is required in the Samba4.pm file
>>> to use this that I could merge with this patch if people desire.
>>>
>>> However, first lets discuss this patch to see if it is the correct way
>>> to do this.
>>>
>> Hi Richard, before I make myself look a fool (well a bigger fool than I
>> already am ) by posting on list, is your patch doing the same as what this
>> line would do in dns_update_list:
>>
>> ${IF_RWDNS_DOMAIN}NS ${DNSDOMAIN}
>> ${HOSTNAME}
> This is not a silly question at all, so I have added back samba-technical.
>
> 1. I do not know.
>
> 2. I suspect that we do not want an NS record there, but if we do,
> they it would be a simpler way to achieve what I am trying to do.

Hi Richard,

from my testing, it does need to be there and I sent a patch to add it,
I then found that Andrew Bartlett has a similar patch with others he is
working on. Because of this, my patch went nowhere, I didn't mind
because at that time Andrew was working on a bigger problem which
hopefully would have meant the internal DNS server would make use of the
NS record that a secondary joined DC would add.

This happened nearly six months ago and nothing has happened yet, if my
(or Andrews similar) patch was added, each DC would have it is own SOA
(like a Windows DC), but only if you use Bind9

Rowland