new socket-wrapper test case and questions around how we ensure quality with the socket wrapper code

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Wed May 11 15:32:10 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

Attached is my now working test case for what net ads dns
gethostbyname is doing.

Along the way, I realized that the testing infrastructure is very
important and it is important to ensure that the test cases are
correct.

So, I tested:

1. Outside the socket wrapper tests by running my test stand-alone,
and it succeeds.

2. Under the current socket wrapper code without my patch, and it
fails, as I expect.

However, if I send in a single patch that contains both the new test
case and the fix, whoever merges the code cannot verify that the test
case is worthwhile.

On the other hand, if I send in two patches, and someone merges them
both and pushes, there will be two commits between which the tests
will fail.

Perhaps I should submit three patch files. One with my new test case,
one with the fixes for the socket wrapper code, and one squashed.

Any comments?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe