Usability of 'samba-tool domain provision'

Peter C. Kelly peter+sambabugzilla at pck.co.nz
Wed May 4 09:29:25 UTC 2016

Andreas said:

>This documents issues I
>found during provisioning. samba-tool is far away from being user friendly.

> a) It isn't clear what domain is from 'samba-tool domain provison --help'

I have raised bug 11894, and attached a patch which addresses this
point as per Rowland's suggested wording.

> b) The --realm option is essential but at the end of the help ...

The reason that the realm is way down the bottom is that it is under a
heading "Samba Common Options", along with configFile debuglevel and
option.

What is currently holding me up from developing the second trivial
patch is a need for a bit more clarity on how this --help output
should look.  It seems to me that if the --domain parameter is
compulsory, then the heading text should say so,
and that if a realm has to be specified (or read in from an existing
conf file) then perhaps that should be mentioned in the introductory
text as well.

As I am a first time contributor I would be happy to make these
trivial changes, if I can get further input on what changes are
desirable.

Thanks,

Peter