Introducing smblog-mode for emacs

Aurélien Aptel aaptel at suse.com
Mon Mar 14 16:25:52 UTC 2016

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:46:33 +0100 Ralph Boehme <rb at sernet.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:33:52AM +0100, Aurélien Aptel wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 10:03:07 +0100 Ralph Boehme <rb at sernet.de>
> > wrote:
> > > Feature request time: another thing that would be very helpful
> > > would be smbd log grouping at SMB packet requests/responses
> > > boundaries, at least for SMB2. Combined with the possibilty to
> > > collapse/expand the log part of a SMB request/respone with TAB. :)
> >
> > I've just added the TAB expand/collapse thing. Could you describe
> > more precisely what the grouping feature is (with an example
> > maybe?).
>
> in a level 10 smbd log SMB2 requests begin with the lines:
<snip>
> This contains the returned status code.

I'm not sure how you can map the result to the right request if they
are async and I don't see any id that is re-used in the result :s

> It would be awesome if emacs could display this collapsed as
>
> SMB2 request: SMB2_OP_CREATE, response: NT_STATUS_OK
> SMB2 request: ...           , response: ...
>
> Then when selecting a line and pressing TAB it would expand and show
> all log lines for that request.

and everything in between or just the 3 starting + 3 ending messages?
It's getting tricky. We could have an extra buffer that only lists
requests and lets you jump the the corresponding line in the log. And
keys to go to next/prev request in the log file.

> Don't know if that's possible, but if you would implement that, I'll
> owe you a bar at SambaXP. :)

A whole bar just for me? Nice! :)

--
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3