Samba v4.2.0 vs. v4.3.5 and -ltinfo

Uri Simchoni uri at samba.org
Wed Mar 9 18:42:25 UTC 2016

On 03/09/2016 05:10 PM, David Hauck wrote:
> Hi Uri,
>
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 at 11:53:00, samba-technical wrote:
>> Hi Uri,

>>> Yeah that's what you need to do. You can look at the source code for
>>> find_program and see that if it's set in the env then that's what
>>> it'll take (for find_program, not necessarily in a general way).
>>>
>>> But your ncurses6-config must also not be broken, a challenge in itself.
>>> Run /cross/ncurses6-config --clfags --libs and see if it gets you
>>> anything reasonable.
>>
>> Yes, it does, it gets me exactly what I want/need: i.e., -lncurses
>> (only) and not -lncurses -ltinfo (which the host variant returns).
>
> You previous answer probably implied this, but I just wanted to make sure: would calling 'waf configure' like I proposed above work?

Looks like it. Best thing is to try. To be sure what configure came up
with have a look at bin/c4che/default.cache.py.

> And also, given the several other places where 'pkg-config'-like scripts are called I'm wondering whether a similar approach is recommended?
Yes, but only for cross-built packages (for example not to xslt package
which generates documentation). Last time I checked the candidates were:
- Python (but you NEED a good python2.7-config, the CPython one is no
good for cross builds)
- ncurses
- if you are NOT using the bundled Heimdal, you need something for Kerberos.

> Alternatively, is there some way to get "find_program" to use the current PATH (which in my case should have identified the cross variants of these scripts)? If this latter consideration worked then it would suffice to require that the cross variants of all 'pkg-config'-like scripts simply be in the PATH (ahead of the host variants).
That's exactly what it does - scan all directoried in PATH according to
the order in PATH. I verified it by putting a breakpoint at find_program().

> Thanks again,
> -David
>
>> Thanks,
>> -David