Building an installable Debian / Ubuntu package from scratch in master.

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Tue Jun 21 22:28:54 UTC 2016

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 14:36:51 -0700, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org>
wrote:

> So for various reasons (too complex to go into :-) at
> the Redmond plugfest I'd like to create a Debian .deb
> package from my current (modified) git master source
> code tree.
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Debian
>
> Is just plain wrong :-(.
>
> I've gotten to the point where I can run
> dpkg-buildpackage with a tarballs directory
> containing my gzipped master tarball, but
> it's trying to find:
>
> samba4_4.0.0~rc6+dfsg1.orig.tar
>
> wtf ? Where is debian getting this version
> number from ? Why is this shit SO FUCKING
> HARD on Debian ?
>
> Inside packaging/RHEL/ there are scripts...
>
> What's the Debian equivalent ?

debian/ subdirectory.

The version is probably coming from debian/changelog.  To add a new
version, add a new entry at the top of that file.

IIRC, some of the other important files are debian/rules and
debian/control.

Yes, it is completely different to Red Hat...  but once you get used to

peace & happiness,
martin