Building an installable Debian / Ubuntu package from scratch in master.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jun 21 21:36:51 UTC 2016

So for various reasons (too complex to go into :-) at
the Redmond plugfest I'd like to create a Debian .deb
package from my current (modified) git master source
code tree.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Debian

Is just plain wrong :-(.

I've gotten to the point where I can run
dpkg-buildpackage with a tarballs directory
containing my gzipped master tarball, but
it's trying to find:

samba4_4.0.0~rc6+dfsg1.orig.tar

wtf ? Where is debian getting this version
number from ? Why is this shit SO FUCKING
HARD on Debian ?

Inside packaging/RHEL/ there are scripts...

What's the Debian equivalent ?