ctdb and setting environment variables early in startup

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 05:23:15 UTC 2016

apparently lttng debug tools with certain common settings can cause
annoying logging (lots of it) for ctdb

"Warning: HOME environment variable not set. Disabling LTTng-UST
per-user tracing. (in setup_local_apps() at lttng-ust-comm.c:386)"

So I thought I had found a workaround by creating a new file
/etc/ctdb/ctdb.conf (since ctdb startup scripts seem to look for this
file and load it) and putting the line
   HOME=/root
into it but coming back to the system later I still see 1000s of
warnings like the above (it did seem to reduce them at first).  It may
have helped but obviously I need to do something more than just that
to make sure HOME is set in these background services that don't run
with any environment variables.

Any idea how to set environment variables for the ctdb service (or
whatever else ctdb related backround daemon is logging to ctdb) so
that I can set HOME to anything (to stop the 1000s of LTTNG messages -
which makes debugging ctdb much harder)?  (and "lttng stop" didn't
seem to help either).
--
Thanks,

Steve