Corruptions seen with diskercise.exe tool

Fri Jun 17 06:40:36 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:52:29AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:33:22AM -0700, sandeep nag wrote:
> > I am seeing read corruption with diskercise.exe tool on a CIFS share
> > mounted on  windows server 2012 R2 datacenter operating system client
> >
> > Samba share is on samba 3.6.25 code base.
> > [image: Inline image 1]
> >

> > Any thoughts on why this corruption is happening?
> >  1. Is it because of packet transmission issue in other layers like
> > tcp/sessions layer or so?
>
> No.

It can't be due to tcp retransmissions, but it could well be due to
glitches in cables and switches. To properly detect that kind of
corruption, you might try to set "server signing = mandatory". It will
slow down operations, but it will cryptographically check the network
traffic.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de

SerNet & BSI laden ein: 29. Juni 2016,
2. IT-Grundschutztag 2016, BPA Berlin.
Anmeldung: https://www.sernet.de/gstag