smbclient_tar flapping

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 14 19:31:51 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-06-14 at 09:57 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Monday, 13 June 2016 19:14:37 CEST Aurélien Aptel wrote:
> > Because many things in smbd are async I guess there could be a
> > race condition between setting the flag and checking it. The fact
> > that
> > the test that resets the archive flag is also sometime failing
> > makes me
> > think this is probably the right explanation.
> >
> > We could start by adding a sleep() call between the setting
> > and the checking, in the test suite (see attached patch).
>
> Hi,
>
> the difference might be that autobuild runs completely in memory, not
> on disk!
>
> However we try to avoid adding more sleeps in the source code
> especially so
> long ones. Autobuilds alread runs 2,5 hours we don't need to extend
> it.
>
> So a check (stat()) in a loop with usleep() is preferred.

Why are our smbd calls not transactional?  While internally smbd may be
async, as soon as the network packet returns, any state it sets really
should be stable.

That is, perhaps this, and the fact that it started happening only a
few months ago is pointing out an underlying bug in smbd, or a change
in the host kernel?