Secure Dynamic DNS updates using machine account.

Hemanth Thummala hemanth.thummala at nutanix.com
Tue Jun 7 23:06:36 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone,

We have a need to update the dns (register new IP or unregister an existing IP) using machine account. Currently net ads register command seems to be working only with Administrator credentials. -P option works only when we set the domain updates to secure and Non-secure. I.e Secure updates not working using machine account.

We have tried considering adding the machine account to DNS update proxy security group. But this is still not helping. Adding the machine account to “DNSAdmin” group works but we do not want to add the account to any administrator groups.

Has anyone tried using –P option for dns register command with minimum set of permissions?

Thanks,
Hemanth.