Usability of 'samba-tool domain provision'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 2 07:32:30 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-06-02 at 09:24 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 May 2016 14:25:21 CEST Rowland Penny wrote:
> > OK, I given up with the 'spaghetti knitting' for the moment, the
> > spaghetti is winning and I needed a rest, so I had a look at this :
> > -)
> >
> > I have split the patch into several smaller patches:
> >
> > The first patch makes the required changes to only provision a DC,
> > this
> > is because, as far as I an aware, this is the only thing you can
> > really
> > provision.
> >
> > The second patch makes 'realm' & 'domain' required arguments, they
> > are
> > no longer options.
> >
> > The third patch checks if the NetBIOS domain name is too long and
> > exits
> > if it is. This also fixes bug 11925
> >
> > The fourth patch adds Administrator password checking
> >
> > The fifth patch adds a couple of extra questions to 'interactive',
> > use_xattrs and use_rfc2307
> >
> > The sixth and final patch adds a few examples to help.
>
> I've reviewed the patches and did some small fixes. I've also fixed
> selftest
> so we can provision an AD DC.
>
> However syntax of 'samba-tool domain provision' changes. I'm not sure
> if
> others are OK with this.

We can't change the syntax.  This is already in use in many scripts and
automated tools.  That the selftest needed to be changed is a red flag
for me.

> Andrew could you please take a look here:
>
> https://git.samba.org/?p=asn/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master
> -domain-provision

I will.  I'm swamped trying to get a difficult set of DRS replication
patches out the door, so please continue to be patient, as I want to
look into this carefully, and still need to do some work on the FSMO
patches.

Thanks,