Running make test against non-Samba target like Windows

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 29 19:28:58 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-07-29 at 11:06 -0500, Steve French wrote:
> Has make test been run with non-local host target (e.g. Windows or
> other Samba server) for testing the testcases e.g.?
>
> I didn't see an option for this.

This isn't a current part of the testsuite, but it is where I would
like wintest to go in the future.

The plan would be to:
 - Declare tests to run against a target win2012r2 offered by (say) a
selftest/target/Windows.pm file
 - Have that target normally give the same 'not here' status that
uncompiled targets give (the code already has provision for targets
that are known to exist but are not available)

Then we can run the same test code, but without socketwrapper, aimed at
the windows target.

To get a reliable environment, I suggest we get wintest working again.

Thankfully we have that!  Wintest lives, currently in combination with
the Catalyst cloud (but any cloud should work), cloudbase-init and some
scripts around nova.

The reason I suggest this approach, is that we need this to be reliable
and reproducible, and the old approach of hand-tended VMs and snapshots
was used by only a handful of folks and wasn't either of these
qualities.

(and if you disagree, you are welcome to just build the Windows.pm
plugin for make test part)

I've CC'ed Bob, our newest intern on Catalyst's Samba Team, as he has
been working on re-animating wintest.