Disable "ntlm auth" by default

Uri Simchoni uri at samba.org
Thu Jul 28 20:07:51 UTC 2016

On 07/28/2016 04:36 PM, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:
> Am 28.07.2016 um 15:12 schrieb Uri Simchoni:
>> On 07/22/2016 11:15 AM, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> here're patches which change the default of the "ntlm auth"
>>> option from yes to no.
>>>
>>> Please review and push:-)
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> metze
>>>
>> Does Windows have such a mode that would accept only NTLMv2-SSP? (the
>> combination of disabling ntlm auth and raw ntlmv2) They don't seem to
>> make the distinction between "raw" and SSP in their docs...
>
> I don't know about the options.
>
> But raw ntlmv2 is completely disabled for quite some time without an option.
>
> metze

There's LMCompatibilityLevel under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa (also settable
via group policy and whatnot). Setting it to 5 should cause the server
to refuse NTLM but in my testing, one machine (Win7) accepted NTLM and
with another (2012R2) the setting gets reset across reboot.

Strange..

Uri.