RFC: dbwrap_ctdb and empty vs deleted records

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Fri Jul 22 14:42:35 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-22 at 14:59 +0200, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 02:45:51PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> > > *ping*
> >
> > I like your patch. Samba can live without empty records, and your patch
> > solves this really bad problem. However, and I don't want to block it just
> > for that, reading 925625b52886d40b50fc's commit message this deadlock
> > came as a bad surprise. Do we have sufficient information to reproduce
> > that deadlock, just to make sure with your patch this does not happen?
>
> yes, that would be really helpfull if anyone who worked on
> 925625b52886d40b50fc would remember how this could be reproduced.
>
> Michael? Björn?

I have to admit that I don't fully remember.
Well, it's 2.5 years ago... ;-)

Thinking aloud:

The example in the commit msg is from brlock code.
We'd need to lock a file, release it, have an
empty brl record, and before it gets vacuumed
call do_lock on the file again.

So possibly by a long vacuum interval and a specially
crafted sequence of file ops...

Cheers - Michael