Read and write list ordering

Justin Maggard jmaggard10 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:59:12 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 04:00:15PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 03:42:54PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > Can we make such a change in a new major release ? i.e. would
> > such a patch be acceptable in a 4.5.0 release - so long as it
> > is fully documented in the release notes ?
>
> No from my point of view. We need a fresh set of options for this.
> This behaviour has been in Samba for so long, I've even put this into
> a book I've written long ago. God knows how many setups we're going to
> break.

I'll live with whatever the final verdict is.  I just want to first
make sure that everyone is clear on what we'd actually be breaking
though.  There is exactly one case that would change behavior with my
patch.  That one case consists of a user populating "read list" with
individual user accounts, then summarily overriding those entries by
adding a group entry for a group that encompasses those users to
"write list".  It's hard for me to imagine anyone doing that
intentionally.  It seems more likely to me that there are many users
out there with configurations that are less restrictive than they
expect (which is, in fact, where the motivation for my patch came
from).

If we stick with the status quo, could we at least make the
documentation more explicit about this peculiarity?

-Justin