Cannot provision with samba 4.4.5

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jul 9 20:12:47 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 20:06 -0700, bogdan_bartos wrote:
> I am trying to provision with samba 4.4.5 on Fedora 24 x64.
>
> The provision command is this:
> samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --interactive
>
> I am getting the bellow:
>
> Realm [LOCALDOMAIN]: DS.BLACKPENGUIN.ORG
>  Domain [DS]: TESTNET
>  Server Role (dc, member, standalone) [dc]:
>  DNS backend (SAMBA_INTERNAL, BIND9_FLATFILE, BIND9_DLZ, NONE)
> [SAMBA_INTERNAL]:
>  DNS forwarder IP address (write 'none' to disable forwarding)
> [10.0.0.250]:
> Administrator password:
> Retype password:
> Looking up IPv4 addresses
> Looking up IPv6 addresses
> No IPv6 address will be assigned
> Setting up share.ldb
> Setting up secrets.ldb
> Setting up the registry
> Setting up the privileges database
> Setting up idmap db
> Setting up SAM db
> Setting up sam.ldb partitions and settings
> Setting up sam.ldb rootDSE
> Pre-loading the Samba 4 and AD schema
> Adding DomainDN: DC=ds,DC=blackpenguin,DC=org
> Adding configuration container
> Setting up sam.ldb schema
> Setting up sam.ldb configuration data
> Setting up display specifiers
> Modifying display specifiers
> Adding users container
> Modifying users container
> Adding computers container
> Modifying computers container
> Setting up sam.ldb data
> Setting up well known security principals
> Setting up sam.ldb users and groups
> ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - operations error at
> ../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/password_hash.c:2241

This indicates a failure to init the krb5 libraries.  Perhaps there is
an unsupported statement in the system krb5.conf?

A higher log level may give some clues, but the messages I see being
set should end up at level 1 (the default), so you might just need to
try with a simpler krb5.conf.

Once you figure out what that is, we should be able to fix things up to
cope.