ctdb getdbmap doesn't include registry.tdb

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 04:55:14 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Martin Schwenke <martin at meltin.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 08:40:31 -0700, Richard Sharpe
> <realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 8:23 AM, Steve French <smfrench at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > How do you tell ctdb to manage registry.tdb?
>> >
>> > In a test system, I just ran "ctdb getdbmap" I noticed that
>> > registry.tdb was not included in the list, although 17 others are (see
>> > below).  smb.conf does have include = registry, and net conf list
>> > shows a few config parms.  Presumably the registry.tdb needs to be
>> > upgraded to be clustered, perhaps the problem is caused if any
>> > registry commands (net conf) are issued prior to starting ctdb?
>>
>> That is strange because I am pretty certain it was managing the
>> registry.tdb a couple of years ago when I checked this out.
>
> This is on a cluster running CTDB from master:
>
>   [root at m1n1 ~]# ctdb getdbmap | grep registry
>   dbid:0x6cf2837d name:registry.tdb path:/var/lib/ctdb/persistent/registry.tdb.0 PERSISTENT
>
> I don't think this has ever been broken... well, at least not in
> recent times...
>
>> What happens if you use net conf blah blah on one of the nodes. Can
>> you see the new entries on other nodes?

No - ran net conf addshare on one node, and only see the share with
net conf listshares on that node (not the other).  On the other hand
new users added via "smbpasswd -a" do show up on both nodes.

>> Perhaps it is just an error in the ctdb tool.
>
> Or perhaps smb.conf is missing the following line?
>
>         ctdb:registry.tdb=yes
>
> Now documented at:
>
>   https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/CTDB_Setup#Critical_smb.conf_parameters

Adding that entry in smb.conf after the fact may not be good enough (I
tried adding it to smb.conf on all nodes) - does the database have to
be converted if samba started once without the parm in smb.conf, the
parm is added, and then samba and ctdb restarted?  I will try an
experiment later making sure smb.conf is updated before first start of
the services, but it does seem weird that all the other databases show
up - and smb.conf specifies "ctdb:registry.tdb=yes" now.   This is
latest 4.4-test branch from last week.

--
Thanks,

Steve