[Samba] Fwd: Change notify/Directory enumeration issue with two MAC OS X El Capitan accessing same folder

Ralph Boehme rb at sernet.de
Sat Jan 30 09:13:56 UTC 2016

Hi!

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 08:49:59AM +0100, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 05:28:22PM -0800, Partha Sarathi wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > We are seeing an issues where two OS X El Capitan clients opened a folder
> > and one of them creates a "New Folder" (untitled folder) and renames it, on
> > the other MAC client explorer the "unititled folder" remains same and
> > unable to access it.
> >
> > Note: The samba version is 4.1.19 and we have not used the  vfs_fruit
> > module.
> >
> > attached packet capture where the SMB2 Find responses are failing with
> > STATUS_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND for the find requests with "apple double" search
> > pattern.
> >
> > Please filter packets for  ip.addr == 192.168.200.171 and at last find
> > requests are having search pattern "._?" etc i.e "apple double" after few
> > SMB2 notify responses.
> >
> > So will this issues fixes by vfs_fruit module or  by latest SAMBA ?
>
> No attachment I'm afraid.

it was attached in a resend.

> Is the client watching the directory getting a ChangeNotify reply
> after the rename ?

Yes, the client is getting a proper ChangeNotify, from a quick check
it looks like the server is behaving correctly.

> The only way to determine if Ralph already fixed
> this is to download master or v4.4 and give it
> a local test.

As he's not using fruit on his system and fruit doesn't deal with
change notifies at all, if it's fixed in a later relase, I didn't fix
it. :)

Anyway, Partha please test with a later release. If the problem
persists, I'd check if you can reproduce the issue against a Windows
server and if it works there, compare network traces bit by bit.

Oh, and dropping samba-users list from cc.

-Ralph

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de,mailto:kontakt@sernet.de