SMB proxy server using ntvfs cifs

Chris Miller chris at cmiller.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 22:16:44 UTC 2016

Hi,

I now have the server configured as a AD DC (with another Windows AD server that was set up first and handles DNS and Kerberos). I followed:  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Join_an_additional_Samba_DC_to_an_existing_Active_Directory

This is working to serve local files and shares but it doesn’t serve the vfs_cifs remote content as yet (I’ve tried several different configs for the sys parameters). There are no obvious errors in the logs (at least to me, conf below). The NTVFS binding lines do show up and so do the debug lines from the code in the vfs_cifs.c module itself within the connect function.

Could someone let me know/point me in the right direction -  Does the vfs_cifs module work with incoming SMB2 traffic or only SMB1 incoming traffic. Also on the outgoing side (it doesn’t fully connect for me yet), but in wireshark, I only see SMB1 traffic as output.

Do both the input and output to and from this module have to be in SMB1 or is it possible to mix and match with SMB2 in some way?

Many Thanks

Config for reference, note that there are no changes with +smb - s3fs form the samba-tool output apart from logging and shares. The samba process is also run. This machine does show up as a domain controller on the windows AD DC and windows user accounts act as you would expect looking at the local shares.

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = SMBDOMAIN
	realm = smbdomain.net
	netbios name = SAMBADC
	interfaces = lo enp0s8
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	server services = rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, dns, smb
	dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr, netlogon, lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser, eventlog6, backupkey, dnsserver, winreg, srvsvc
	log file = /usr/local/samba/samba.log
	log level = 5

[netlogon]
	path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/smbdomain.net/scripts
	read only = No

[sysvol]
	read only = No

[basic]