SMB proxy server using ntvfs cifs

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 13:49:21 UTC 2016

On 27/01/16 13:10, Chris Miller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get an ntvfs with cifs proxy server running with several failed attempts for a few days now and have hit some stumbling blocks. Preferably, I need to set up as a domain member as I wish to put an NTVFS module before the CIFS proxy to marshall file access as a proxy server (much like some of the vfs modules do at the endpoint).
>
> I can successfully join the domain by running winbind, nmbd and smdb and also get a basic share served to me :)
>
> If I start samba in ntvfs mode instead of smbd with the following lines in the smb.conf , I can’t list the shares any more and get blocked access. I get the following line below in the logs:
>
> [global]
>> # these lines are toggled for samba with ntvfs or smb mode
>
> server services = +smb -s3fs +winbind
> dcerpc endpoint servers = +winreg +srvsvc

I don't think this going to work, you are starting winbind, nmbd, and
smbd deamons and have added lines to smb.conf that belong in an AD DC
smb.conf. Also ntvfs is, or rather was designed to be used only with the
samba deamon, was because it is now depreciated and could be removed at
any time.

Rowland