smbd/source3 or ntvfs/source4 for new VFS module development?

Zack M. Davis zdavis+samba-technical at swiftstack.com
Wed Jan 27 00:46:31 UTC 2016

Dear list,

When developing a new VFS module, does it still make sense to put it in
source3/modules/vfs in the source repository and use the `smb_register_vfs`
API as illustrated in examples/VFS/skel_*.c? Or is it preferrable to use
the source4/ntvfs infastructure (which is newer, but ominously described as
"to a large extent [...] deprecated in terms of use for file shares" at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba/Status#Feature_Status_on_the_AD_DC)?

If the latter, is there any developer documentation on how to use the
source4/ntvfs code? (I found it pretty straightfoward to make a simple
proof-of-concept VFS module by modifying examples/VFS/skel_transparent.c
and consulting
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/The_new_version_of_Writing_a_Samba_VFS,
but I seem to be having more trouble even setting up the NTVFS server.)  I
am,

Faithfully yours,
Zack M. Davis