An event reporting framework for Samba

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 03:37:20 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

I am seeking feedback on an idea for an improvement in Samba.

In modern storage environments people want analytics and Samba needs
to be able to provide the information requested.
.rts from those events.

In general, they would like a stream of events that they will then
store in a database and from which they can generate interesting
reports.

For example, they would like:

1. Info about every logon, including who, when, where.
2. Info about every logoff, same as above.
3. Info about every tree connect, when, what, who.
4. Info about every tree disconnect, when, what, who.
5. Info about every file create
6. Info about every file delete, rename, change of attributes, and so on.

>From these they can generate reports about who accesses what and how
many files are created, etc.

Now, some of this could be achieved today by adding event reporting
calls within a VFS module, not all of it can without modifying Samba.
Moreover, I have probably not thought of everything that people might
want events for. It might be easier if we had an event reporting
framework that users could plug into. The default behavior would be to
do absolutely nothing, especially if the user has not provided the
module.

Does this sound like a useful thing to do?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe