What about SMB3 Multi-Channel in Samba?

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Jan 20 20:32:59 UTC 2016

Hi,

Last year I presented about the state of Multi-Channel in Samba
at sambaXP in May and at the SDC in September [1].

Our plan was actually to bring Multi-Channel into the 4.4 release
of Samba. Now unfortnately, we had to re-prioritize resources in
Q4-2015, hence there is not as much progress on the code as I had
planned. :-(

But now we are in full swing again. My copy of the WIP branch
is here: [2]. It its currently updated several times a day, and
we (mostly Günther and I, with Anoop helping out in some places)
are in the progress of cleaning up patches and code and fixing
the missing pieces. Several preparations in the underpinnings
of the smb2 code hava already been brought upstream last year.
The session binding code is in pretty good shape. The connection
passing patches need some clean-up, and the replay-detection
code needs to be fully verified. Finally socket wrapper
needs support for fd-passing in order to fully self-test the
feature without a hack in the server code.

Now with 4.4 being branched next week, it is more than just
unlikely that we can get anything into master in time, even
as an experimental tech-preview kind of feature, but we are
still working feverishly. ;-)

Cheers - Michael

[1] http://www.snia.org/sites/default/files/SDC15_presentations/smb/MichaelAdam_SMB3_Multi_Channel_%20rev.pdf
[2] https://git.samba.org/?p=obnox/samba/samba-obnox.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master-multi-channel-obnox