Using travis-ci.org to smoke-test your pull requests

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 6 01:18:23 UTC 2016

G'Day,

You may notice, if you use github, that there is a new status on the
pull requests you make.

Look at this recent pull request, for example:
https://github.com/samba-team/samba/pull/50

Since we added the .travis.yml file, we now build Samba on the Open
Source travis-ci.org platform.  So far it is just a build, not the full
make test (the tests of the libraries are done however).

This should help avoid the silly mistakes we all sometimes make, and
therefore save reviewer time.

To test your own code, before making a pull request, go to

https://travis-ci.org

Click 'sign up', and enter your github credentials.  It will guide you
though setting up which repos to build.  I suggest setting your
personal repo to 'build on push', or if you don't want to do that, make
pull requests to yourself, and build on pull request.

Also set 'Build only if .travis.yml is present'.

Then sit back and enjoy as 'the cloud' handles a bit of the more
tedious aspects of Samba development, so you can focus writing more
amazing patches.

Thanks!

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba