How much use is IPTOS_LOWDELAY

David Holder david.holder at erion.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 11:21:49 UTC 2016

Hi Richard,

Happy New Year!

I didn't see you get a response to this one so here are my thoughts.

IPTOS_LOWDELAY is historic. It refers to a time prior to Differentiated
Services (DiffServ) when the Type of Service field in the IP header had
bit flags indicating the quality of service required.

Today, with the advent of DiffServ, the Differentiated Services Code
Point (DSCP) value for the required level of service should be set
instead. The appropriate value will vary from network to network
depending on the network's QoS policy.

See RFC 2474 for DiffServ.

To set the DSCP field use the the IP_TOS socket option in legacy IPv4
(if you are still using v4) or the IPV6_TCLASS socket option in IPv6.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,
David

Dr David Holder CEng FIET MIEEE

Erion Ltd, An Cala, Inverkirkaig, Lochinver, Sutherland, IV27 4LR, UK

Reception: +44 (0)1422 207000

Direct Dial: +44 (0)131 2026317

http://www.erion.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales. Registered Number 3521142
Registered Office: Newtons, 49 Coniscliffe Road, Darlington, County
Durham, DL3 7EH, UK
VAT Number: GB 698 3633 78