Samba v4.3.3 Solaris 10 referenced symbol not found

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Sat Jan 2 20:22:59 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Fri, 2016-01-01 at 11:10 -0800, Andrew Morgan wrote:
>> I built Samba v4.3.3 on Solaris 10 sparc (upgrading from v3.6.25!),
>> but I
>> ran into a problem after I installed it.  Trying to run smbstatus or
>> smbd
>> gave the following error:
>>
>> libsmbconf.so.0: symbol _talloc_pooled_object: referenced symbol not
>> found
>>
>> My build arguments were:
>>
>> setenv CFLAGS -std=gnu99
>> ./configure --prefix=/private/samba --with-syslog --with-quotas \
>>      --without-winbind --with-acl-support --without-utmp --without-ad
>> -dc
>> gmake
>>
>> Digging a little bit in the binaries shows:
>>
>> nm /private/samba-4.3.3/lib/libsmbconf.so:

>> [3127]  |         0|         0|FUNC |GLOB |0    |UNDEF
>> |_talloc_pooled_object
>>
>> but nm shows no _talloc_pooled_object function in libtalloc.so, which
>> doesn't make sense to me.
>>
>> Is this a known issue?  What can I do to help diagnose the problem?
>
> Any chance there is another libtalloc somewhere on your system you are
> linking against?  Perhaps in the path of some other library?

Aha!  The location of libtalloc.so has changed from {prefix}/lib/ to
{prefix}/lib/private/.  I was installing on top of the existing v3.6.25
directory, /private/samba/.  The old libtalloc.so was still in
{prefix}/lib/.  When I install to a new directory, without the old
libraries, run-time linking is working correctly.

What is the recommended way to "upgrade" Samba but preserve the
configuration?  In the past, I've been able to install over the top of the
existing installation, but I think I'll need to do a clean install this
time.

I think I need to preserve:

lib/smb.conf
private/*