Samba v4.3.3 Solaris 10 referenced symbol not found

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Fri Jan 1 19:10:15 UTC 2016

I built Samba v4.3.3 on Solaris 10 sparc (upgrading from v3.6.25!), but I
ran into a problem after I installed it.  Trying to run smbstatus or smbd
gave the following error:

libsmbconf.so.0: symbol _talloc_pooled_object: referenced symbol not found

My build arguments were:

setenv CFLAGS -std=gnu99
./configure --prefix=/private/samba --with-syslog --with-quotas \
     --without-winbind --with-acl-support --without-utmp --without-ad-dc
gmake

Digging a little bit in the binaries shows:

nm /private/samba-4.3.3/lib/libsmbconf.so:

[3127]  |         0|         0|FUNC |GLOB |0    |UNDEF  |_talloc_pooled_object

but nm shows no _talloc_pooled_object function in libtalloc.so, which
doesn't make sense to me.

Is this a known issue?  What can I do to help diagnose the problem?

On a related note: is there a log of the build/compile output anywhere or
a good way to log it?  I wasn't expecting the build process to be so
verbose.

Thanks,
 	Andy