inherit acls = yes can ignore the set group id bit

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Wed Feb 24 19:10:55 UTC 2016

The discription from Bug 10647 reads:

This problem shows up on both Linux and Solaris.
We have a setup where we want a group of users to be able to work in a
common share. To do that I set up a group and made the users members of
that group. I made the parent directory have that group as it's group and
added an ACL to make sure that everyone in the group could create files
there and modify any files there. I set the set group id bit so that any
new files would get this group as it's group. I set the share to have
inherit acls = yes so that the acl would be inherited and used. But with
inherit acls = yes, the set group id bit is not honored.

I believe that the set group id bit should be considered to be part of the
ACL dispite it being stored in with the normal permissions. The bug was
isssued against Samba 4.1.7, but Samba 4.4.0rc3 still has the problem.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com