Samba AD DC and winbindd

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 08:28:51 UTC 2016

On 17/02/16 06:59, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 February 2016 13:06:35 Jeremy Allison wrote:

>>> To be honest, I would vote for removing the 'winbind use default domain'
>>> option completely. I have a lot of downstream bugs with issues only
>>> because of this options.
>>>
>>> It creates more trouble than it solves a problem ...
>> You won't get any arguments here from me on the problems
>> this causes.
>>
>> However, it's been out there and widely used for many
>> years, and consider what might break if we now remove
>> it.
>>
>> I think we're stuck with making it work :-(. I'm happy
>> to work with you on fixing any upstream bugs you can
>> report.
> The issue we had several times the last month was that customers user 'winbind
> use default domain = yes' and then create a unix user with the same name (foo)
> as the on in AD.

Then this is problem with whatever tool they are using to create the
user or how the user is set up. If I try to create a user on a DC with
'adduser' and the user already exists in AD, I get this:

root at dc1:~# adduser rowland
adduser: The user `rowland' already exists.

> Then they try to use 'username map' to map AD/foo to foo.
>
> Then they open a bug and complain that it doesn't work. Also username map is
> badly documented, see the bug #11557. The issue is probably always bad
> documentation and we do not explain that a username which appears twice will
> not work.

This I can agree with.

Rowland