[CTDB] Missing manpages

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Thu Feb 11 11:19:52 UTC 2016

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for noticing this...

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 10:21:09 +0100, Andreas Schneider
<asn at samba.org> wrote:

> we do not have manpages for:
>
> ctdb-tests.i686: W: no-manual-page-for-binary ctdb_run_cluster_tests
> ctdb-tests.i686: W: no-manual-page-for-binary ctdb_run_tests

These aren't for general consumption, they run the CTDB test suite.
Can we assume that someone who wants to run the test suite can run then
with the --help option?  :-)

Otherwise we need to find time to do this...

> ctdb.x86_64: W: no-manual-page-for-binary ctdb_diagnostics

We have a pending to-do to either take a patch posted to the list back
on 2015-10-10 or consider not installing ctdb_diagnostics.  Some of the
output is useful, some not.  It is something we need to take the time
to revisit.  For now I guess we should just grab Martijn's manpage and
use it.

> ctdb.x86_64: W: no-manual-page-for-binary ctdb_natgw
> ctdb.x86_64: W: no-manual-page-for-binary ctdb_lock_helper
> ctdb.x86_64: W: no-manual-page-for-binary ctdb_recovery_helper
> ctdb.x86_64: W: no-manual-page-for-binary smnotify
> ctdb.x86_64: W: no-manual-page-for-binary ctdb_event_helper

None of these are invoked directly.  They are internal helpers.  Right
now they get installed into /usr/bin/ but we should move them
somewhere, like /usr/libexec/ctdb/.  We just need time to research the
modern place to put these sorts of things and to do the job properly.

Advice gladly accepted!  :-)

> Could someone write manpages for those binaries please?

I think there are at most 2 manpages to be written from scratch.

Well, we might also consider writing one for ctdb_natgw, depending on
how we do things in the future... but for now we can consider it to be
a helper that won't be invoked directly.

peace & happiness,
martin