Indexing Services

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Feb 6 00:15:10 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 11:43:31PM +0000, Greg Silverman wrote:
> Is it possible for the Linux server running samba to provide Windows or Mac
> with the index files they use, so they will not generate indexes themselves
> by reading all files in the share?
>
> Can the samba share host a search service that clients will use, to avoid
> indexing, themselves?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg Silverman
> SF Bay Area

Noel @ SuSE has an experimental version of the Windows indexing
server for Samba. Not completed yet (although I keep pinging him
to do that :-). Ralph @ SerNet also has an experimental version of the
MacOSX indexer (spotlight I think ?) again that isn't yet in
the tree.

What's the status on these Noel and Ralph ?