Does a samba user must be a linux user ?

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 13:06:33 UTC 2016

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 12:22:49 +0000
Fengwei <feng.wei at h3c.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
> Thanks for your attention. I have a question about samba user.
> I use the cmd ‘smbpasswd -a’ to add a samba user, it said that should
> add a linux user before add it to samba, Does a samba user must be a
> linux user ?

It all depends on how Samba is set up. On a standalone server, the
Samba user must also be a Unix user or it will not be known to the
underlying OS.
On an AD domain member, the user must not be a local Unix user.

It will help if you post your smb.conf, but not here, this type of
question should be asked on the Samba mailing list: