[Patches] auth/credentials for user_auth_info

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Sun Dec 18 12:51:49 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew,

>> here're some patches to prepare the auth/credentials logic for
>> usage within struct user_auth_info.
>>
>> This took quite some cycles to pass a full autobuild, it turns
>> out that we have a lot of explicit and implicit test cavarage
>> of the source3 POPT_COMMON_CREDENTIALS handling.
>>
>> Please review and push:-)
>>
>> This depends on the "Avoid selftest/autobuild interaction with /tmp"
>> patchset.
>
> Thank you so much for doing this.  The main issue I have with it is the
> new password_will_be_nt_hash logic.  This seems to me to be a horrible
> API!
>
> This however isn't an objection, assuming you tell me (as I trust you
> will) that all the other options were even worse.

I started with implementing it only in source3/lib/util_cmdline.c
until some tests failed and I realized that cli_credentials_parse_string()
or the callback also need to handle the hexstring.
And we still have places were we use get_cmdline_auth_info_password()
and get_cmdline_auth_info_use_pw_nt_hash() and pass down the hexstring
through some layers.

> I am very glad to see cli_credentials starting to get good use across
> the codebase.  I'm well aware it isn't ideal, but it is an improvement
> and the consistency brings us great opportunities.

Yes, there're a lot of things to do, but we can't change everything on
one day:-)

metze