AD DC LDAP server multi-process - slower!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Dec 13 03:43:19 UTC 2016

G'Day,

We had a simple patch to change the single process LDAP server into
multi-process, in the standard model like smbd uses, one fork per
connection.

The performance on a test of
 - connect
 - NTLM binds
 - drop socket
showed using multiple processes this way, with the high exit cost, is
actually slower.  We expected that having mutiple CPUs available would
make it at least a little faster, and we would optimise from there with
the talloc_for_exit() or similar.

We will re-investigate the prefork process model for the ldap server.