Samba and NFS server on same system using same filesystems

Volker Lendecke vl at samba.org
Thu Dec 8 20:03:17 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 10:20:59AM -0600, Ron Short wrote:
> This would be installed on a RHEL 6.7/8 system.  As far as I know, it's
> usage would be to provide the data to a 52 node cluster via NFS AND serve
> the XFS filesystem as Samba shares to the ~60 Windows workstations.
>
> Little is known about the actual applications/data to be used, but likely
> input files to simulation runs, output files and misc "stuff".  Expect that
> a subset of the compute nodes would be processing the data via NFS and the
> Windows workstations via Samba would be used for pre and post processing of
> the results.

As long as the applications do workflow coordination themselves,
you're probably okay. Things get intersting if some applications read
data that is still being written by the other protocol. Video ingest
and processing is very prone to doing that with all sorts of
performance and integrity issues.

Volker