Samba and NFS server on same system using same filesystems

Volker Lendecke vl at samba.org
Thu Dec 8 16:11:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 09:39:48AM -0600, Ron Short wrote:
> What issues might one run into having both a NFS server and a Samba
> configuration running on the same system serving out the same filesystem(s)?

It should work fine as long as you don't actually have interoperating
applications that require any form of interoperable locking.

For example samba hands out oplocks, nfsv4 I believe calls them
delegations. When a SMB client has an oplock, and an NFS client wants
that file, the NFS server must somehow trigger samba to release the
oplock. This is done on Linux with kernel oplocks. Similar issues
arise with share modes vs share reservations.

In general, if you don't have applications that actually compete on
the same file space, you should be fine. But if you do, we need to
talk :-)

Your mail address is sgi.com. Is this IRIX, or Linux, or something
else? Just curious...

Volker