How to view the effective smb.conf when using mixed registry config

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 01:12:59 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 5:33 PM, Christof Schmitt <cs at samba.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 05:12:45PM -0600, Steve French wrote:
> > It is a little confusing trying to figure out the "real" values that will
> > be loaded by smbd (or any Samba utilities) since when "include=registry"
> is
> > used (or even when include of a text file from smb.conf is used), the
> > "real" values are presumably
> >
> > 1) everything in smb.conf upto the include line, unless the registry (net
> > conf) overwrites the same keyword (in which case that line is a no op)
> > 2) everything from the registry ("net conf")
> > 3) everything after the "include" line in smb.conf
> >
> > Is there a tool that dumps the "real" Samba configuration values - ie
> what
> > the final configuration looks like?
>
> testparm?
>
> Christof

Turns out that testparm sort of works, but is strange.

I just did a "net conf setparm global workgroup WORKGROUP""

and then testparm which doesn't display workgroup but if I do instead

net conf setparm global "server string" "a Samba 4.5 server"

then testparm does show it.  Weird that various parms are not listed
(leases and workgroup)

--
Thanks,

Steve