Performance testing framework

Douglas Bagnall douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Aug 31 05:34:05 UTC 2016

On 26/08/16 15:56, Douglas Bagnall wrote:

>>> Douglas,
>>>
>>> What optimization level has been used to generate those figures? From my
>>> experience, the generated code varies greatly from non-optimized to
>>> optimized code.
>>
>> I have assumed -O2, but the question makes me realise I haven't
>> actually checked. The build for all versions boils down to
>> `CC=gcc-4.9 ./configure.developer && make -j` (gcc-4.9 because
>> newer compilers with -Werror find fatal warnings in old code),
>> so it depends on the various releases' defaults.

Now I have it working with « CFLAGS="-O2 -w" CC='gcc-4.9' », with
pictures still at:

https://www.samba.org/~dbagnall/perf-tests/

The "-w" turns off warnings which is the easiest way to avoid -Werror
hell across GCC and Samba versions.

Fortunately, the -O2 tests make Samba 4.5 look even better, while 4.4
doesn't look as bad as it did
(https://www.samba.org/~dbagnall/perf-tests/old.html for comparison).

The next trick I am working on is to run the tests multiple times and
use the fastest. Then I'll look at regular automatic testing of master.

Douglas