smb.conf realm issue with

sk_tech101 at yahoo.com sk_tech101 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 16:28:48 UTC 2016

 Our product sits in different networks. The server it authenticates(using ntlm) with can be windows 2003 or higher or even NT4. With that in mind, should we still have security = ADS in smb.conf of our product?
Thanks

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app

    On Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:45 PM, Rowland Penny <repenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:

 On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 19:55:03 +0000 (UTC)
<sk_tech101 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> We are using samba for doing ntlm authentication with a windows
> server 2003(or higher) domain controller. We set security=domain in
> smb.conf
>
> Thanks
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app
>
>    On Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:02 AM, Andreas Schneider
> <asn at samba.org> wrote:
>
>  On Wednesday, 24 August 2016 22:28:25 CEST sk_tech101 at yahoo.com
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Please let me know if this is a wrong mailing list to discuss
> > smb.conf related issue. I am hitting issue following issue after
> > upgrading to samba 4.4.5. I think I should not need realm, can
> > anyone help?
>
> Which kind and version of a domain controller do you join?
>
> > root at jut[12]###/mail/product/samba/bin/net rpc join -I 10.1.3.50 -S
> > DEVWIN -U "administrator%home"Failed to join domain:
> > Invalidconfiguration ("realm" set to '', should be 'devwin2k.com')
> > andconfiguration modification was not requested My smb.conf
> > workgroup=devwin2k#workgroup=
> > #realm=
> > netbios name=goodguy
> > password server=10.1.3.250
> > #password server=
> > security=domain
> > #security=ADS
> > #kerberos method = system keytab
> > winbind uid=10000-20000
> > winbind gid=10000-20000
> > winbind use default domain=yes
> > winbind separator=:
> > max log size=50000
> > wins server=
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app

See here for info on how to set up a domain member:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member

any questions, just ask.

Rowland